Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+3
cream919
alohafri
SoxIlliniRob
7 posters

Get yer tickets

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Get yer tickets Empty Get yer tickets

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Kopech starts Tuesday night.  Already found a couple Club seats for 17 each on Stubhub.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Get yer tickets Empty Re: Get yer tickets

Post by alohafri Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:49 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Kopech starts Tuesday night.  Already found a couple Club seats for 17 each on Stubhub.

I wish they would have waited until May, but now that he's up, good luck Kid!
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:53 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Kopech starts Tuesday night.  Already found a couple Club seats for 17 each on Stubhub.

I wish they would have waited until May, but now that he's up, good luck Kid!

Agreed, but he's been doing so freaking well at AAA that I think it's just silly to leave him there any longer.  I watched him last week in a start and it was like a man pitching to little leaguers.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 pm

Will he be better than the great Johnny Danks?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 am

Hey, Danks had a nice run here hefore his arm fell off.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 pm

cream919 wrote:Will he be better than the great Johnny Danks?

Gavin Floyd...who was picked by a genius to be a future Cy Young winner
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:59 pm

All this hoopla about a pitcher who was 7-7 in the minors this year. Jesus Christ he's being promoted like he's a can't miss combination of Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson. Hilarious. No wonder Rosebowl referred to the sports atmosphere in this town as Hooterville. As with any "prospect" that joins this clown act, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm about ready to call Moncada a stiff for crying out loud.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 am

sharpy wrote:

Only Al and Kark considered themselves geniuses. Which one made this prediction?
    telefrank
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

Post by telefrank Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Last night I was sitting in the backyard. Living on the northwest side I'm use to looking to the north to see planes lining up to land at O'Hara. But last night I heard a different noise. Kind of a laugh. I looked up and to my surprise it was Michael Kopeck flying over my house. He stopped and looked down at me "Excuse me I'm lost which way is the southside?" I pointed south. He waved and took off. I've got to quit drinking that media produced Kool-Aid! 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm

alohafri wrote:
    sharpy wrote:

Only Al and Kark considered themselves geniuses. Which one made this prediction?

Frazer was another one who liked to sing the Floyd praises.  He spent an entire season calling Buehrle our "lefty weak suck" and claiming he was our #5 starter behind guys like Floyd and Danks.  Yikes.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 am

Well, it was only two innings, but it was also 54 pitches, so at least there was some meat on the bones to see last night.  

Dude is very raw.  His fastball is obviously good and was ranging 96-98.  They seem to chase it when he throws it up high in the zone or a bit above the zone.  

I'd like to see him increase the velo of his curve.  It's about 80 mph and that's a pretty significant drop from his fastball.  He threw it pretty well and for strikes.  I noticed when he'd throw it first pitch, they'd just sit and watch it come in for strike one.  A couple times he threw it on obvious curve situations and they were laying in wait for it.  

Slider is a nice pitch for him.  High 80's and had guys looking silly chasing it.  This ought to be his #2 pitch from my estimation.  Guys weren't recognizing it as an offspeed pitch until they were mid-swing.  

I'm optimistic.  He's going to have to learn how to do one of two things....either put a guy away who is 0-2 or 1-2, or be able to pitch to more contact and get the ball in play.  He's throwing seemingly 5 to 7 pitches to each hitter.  He'll never be able to last beyond 5 innings at that pace.  He gets a hitter 0-2 or 1-2 and then it's Ball, Foul, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Ball, strike three.  I love the strikeout, but he's going to have to become more efficient.  

Gotta be weird for a 22 yr old to come pitch his first game and have 1,500 people surrounding the bullpen during his warmup all taking pics and video and wearing his jersey.  That was a bit much for me, but it's nice to see some excitement in the Guaranteed Rate Morgue for a change.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:15 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Well, it was only two innings, but it was also 54 pitches, so at least there was some meat on the bones to see last night.  

Dude is very raw.  His fastball is obviously good and was ranging 96-98.  They seem to chase it when he throws it up high in the zone or a bit above the zone.  

I'd like to see him increase the velo of his curve.  It's about 80 mph and that's a pretty significant drop from his fastball.  He threw it pretty well and for strikes.  I noticed when he'd throw it first pitch, they'd just sit and watch it come in for strike one.  A couple times he threw it on obvious curve situations and they were laying in wait for it.  

Slider is a nice pitch for him.  High 80's and had guys looking silly chasing it.  This ought to be his #2 pitch from my estimation.  Guys weren't recognizing it as an offspeed pitch until they were mid-swing.  

I'm optimistic.  He's going to have to learn how to do one of two things....either put a guy away who is 0-2 or 1-2, or be able to pitch to more contact and get the ball in play.  He's throwing seemingly 5 to 7 pitches to each hitter.  He'll never be able to last beyond 5 innings at that pace.  He gets a hitter 0-2 or 1-2 and then it's Ball, Foul, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Ball, strike three.  I love the strikeout, but he's going to have to become more efficient.  

Gotta be weird for a 22 yr old to come pitch his first game and have 1,500 people surrounding the bullpen during his warmup all taking pics and video and wearing his jersey.  That was a bit much for me, but it's nice to see some excitement in the Guaranteed Rate Morgue for a change.

I liked what I saw. I'm sure he was just too pumped.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:26 pm

I'd like to comment on Kopech, but I have to run out and find all of his rookie cards ASAP...retirement is coming
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am

I didn't see yesterday's game as we were at our granddaughter's baptism, but it sounded like Kopech did pretty well.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:11 am

alohafri wrote:I didn't see yesterday's game as we were at our granddaughter's baptism, but it sounded like Kopech did pretty well.

He did.  He's going to have some bumps in the road.  He is clearly dealing with some nerves when throwing his offspeed pitches.  He throws a pretty damn solid slider.  It's about 83 mph, which seems a bit slow for the kind of fastball he throws.  He was trying to throw another offspeed pitch that he was throwing WAY up and in.  Maybe a curve?  Maybe a change?  I know how list of pitches is fastball, curve, slider, change.  I didn't see a quality curveball or a quality changeup, so my assumption is his really wild pitches were one of those two.  

His fastball was really only in the 94-96 mph range, which isn't incredibly noteworthy in MLB, but his fastball is very lively.  You can just see it fluttering around.  The dude seems to be able to get his pitches over the plate, which is a welcome change for a rookie fastballer.  I just assumed we'd be watching him walk a bunch of guys for a while, as he tried learning the league a bit.  

His start could have been a lot worse yesterday.  He gave up a number of "just missed it" flyballs yesterday where guys were an eight of an inch on the bat from a HR.  Maybe he was lucky, or maybe he's just good enough to keep the ball off of that part of the bat.  And then he got an incredibly timely DP grounder to end a rally on a 3-1 count.  

So far, I'm most impressed with his control and his fastball movement and location.  I'm least impressed with his command of his offspeed.  They are not using it very much.  Personally, I'd tell they guy to keep throwing the offspeed right now, while the games don't matter.  Let him go out and learn and take his lumps.  He needs to work through whatever nervousness he's having that's causing him to not command his curve and change.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:58 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:I didn't see yesterday's game as we were at our granddaughter's baptism, but it sounded like Kopech did pretty well.

He did.  He's going to have some bumps in the road.  He is clearly dealing with some nerves when throwing his offspeed pitches.  He throws a pretty damn solid slider.  It's about 83 mph, which seems a bit slow for the kind of fastball he throws.  He was trying to throw another offspeed pitch that he was throwing WAY up and in.  Maybe a curve?  Maybe a change?  I know how list of pitches is fastball, curve, slider, change.  I didn't see a quality curveball or a quality changeup, so my assumption is his really wild pitches were one of those two.  

His fastball was really only in the 94-96 mph range, which isn't incredibly noteworthy in MLB, but his fastball is very lively.  You can just see it fluttering around.  The dude seems to be able to get his pitches over the plate, which is a welcome change for a rookie fastballer.  I just assumed we'd be watching him walk a bunch of guys for a while, as he tried learning the league a bit.  

His start could have been a lot worse yesterday.  He gave up a number of "just missed it" flyballs yesterday where guys were an eight of an inch on the bat from a HR.  Maybe he was lucky, or maybe he's just good enough to keep the ball off of that part of the bat.  And then he got an incredibly timely DP grounder to end a rally on a 3-1 count.  

So far, I'm most impressed with his control and his fastball movement and location.  I'm least impressed with his command of his offspeed.  They are not using it very much.  Personally, I'd tell they guy to keep throwing the offspeed right now, while the games don't matter.  Let him go out and learn and take his lumps.  He needs to work through whatever nervousness he's having that's causing him to not command his curve and change.
    You are aware that between his two Sox starts and his AAA starts that he has not walked anyone in AUGUST!
    Thought I' heard that SO/BB ratio was something like 56 -8.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes, I am aware, although he keeps hitting batters. As I tell my 16 yr old pitcher, same thing.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:23 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Yes, I am aware, although he keeps hitting batters.  As I tell my 16 yr old pitcher, same thing.
    Reminds me of old story.
    Drysdale was pitching and has men on 2nd & 3rd. Plunks next batter. Manager (either Hodges or Alston-both mild mannered types) rushes to mound. "God dammit, I told you to walk him"
    Drysdale " No, you told me to me to put him on!"
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:51 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Yes, I am aware, although he keeps hitting batters.  As I tell my 16 yr old pitcher, same thing.
    Reminds me of old story.
    Drysdale was pitching and has men on 2nd & 3rd. Plunks next batter. Manager (either Hodges or Alston-both mild mannered types) rushes to mound. "God dammit, I told you to walk him"
    Drysdale " No, you told me to me to put him on!"

Exactly.  I realize they aren't exactly the same thing.  You can send a bit of a message with a well placed HBP.  I get pissed cuz my kid tends to graze hitters when he gets a little loose with his 2-seamer and grazes a uniform.  I've told him that the only way a HBP is of any value is if it leaves a mark on the hitter.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Fanboy moment...woo hoo!  
    Cautious optimism continues with Kopech for me.  His control and command of his fastball so far is nearly incredible for a kid that age.  His moments of wildness are simply that...moments.  He had a mechanical flaw for his first 5 pitches and then figured it out.  Slider looked very nice last night.  He is going to need to continue working on a put-away pitch when he's got two strikes on guys.  I didn't expect to be this impressed with him and expected more bumps and bruises.  I'm sure they are still coming.  He'll take some lumps at some point.  Most concerning to me so far is how many balls are hit in the air off of him.  Some of those are going to end up being 480 foot homers on one of his off days.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:32 pm

I'd like him to pitch a game at home where it isn't raining just once.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:29 pm

I think his nickname ought to be "Rainmaker".
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Fanboy moment...woo hoo!  
    Cautious optimism continues with Kopech for me.  His control and command of his fastball so far is nearly incredible for a kid that age.  His moments of wildness are simply that...moments.  He had a mechanical flaw for his first 5 pitches and then figured it out.  Slider looked very nice last night.  He is going to need to continue working on a put-away pitch when he's got two strikes on guys.  I didn't expect to be this impressed with him and expected more bumps and bruises.  I'm sure they are still coming.  He'll take some lumps at some point.  Most concerning to me so far is how many balls are hit in the air off of him.  Some of those are going to end up being 480 foot homers on one of his off days.

I guess today is that day.  They be hittin' some no-doubters.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Fanboy moment...woo hoo!  

I guess today is that day.  They be hittin' some no-doubters.

Appears that nobody will be hitting anything off Kopech until at least 2020.  Yikes!
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Appears that nobody will be hitting anything off Kopech until at least 2020.  Yikes!

In the scheme of life, it could be worse ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm