Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Cubs/Cards

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Cubs/Cards Empty Cubs/Cards

Post by blondy28 Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 pm

LaStella and Happ pitched better than any pitchers today.  What a shit show.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Cubs/Cards Empty Re: Cubs/Cards

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Is Quintana hurt or something?  His last start was 7/10 and his next start is 7/22.  Looks like they had him skip a start, which makes me think maybe he's going through some issues.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:45 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Is Quintana hurt or something?  His last start was 7/10 and his next start is 7/22.  Looks like they had him skip a start, which makes me think maybe he's going through some issues.

If he's hurt, I didn't hear about it.  Or forgot about it.  But I think it's more likely because of the All Star Break.  Lester pitched on Sunday before the break, then pitched today, so they obviously shifted some things around.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:04 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Is Quintana hurt or something?  His last start was 7/10 and his next start is 7/22.  Looks like they had him skip a start, which makes me think maybe he's going through some issues.

If he's hurt, I didn't hear about it.  Or forgot about it.  But I think it's more likely because of the All Star Break.  Lester pitched on Sunday before the break, then pitched today, so they obviously shifted some things around.

He was next in the rotation to pitch when the all star game hit, and then they made him last in the rotation afterward, including putting Chatwood ahead of him, starting tomorrow.  That has a very bad smell to it.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

He was next in the rotation to pitch when the all star game hit, and then they made him last in the rotation afterward, including putting Chatwood ahead of him, starting tomorrow.  That has a very bad smell to it.

They are apparently kicking the tires on some starting pitching for deadline deals.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:25 am

blondy28 wrote:LaStella and Happ pitched better than any pitchers today.  What a shit show.

I never understood that concept. Position players aren't pitchers. They throw differently. This was the second game past the All Star Break. Bring in a middle reliever and leave him in there to get his ass kicked if the game is over. Whatever happened to the old "mop up" men?

I guarantee you, if LaStella or Happ blew out an elbow in this role, Maddon never would have made it to his car after the game.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 am

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:LaStella and Happ pitched better than any pitchers today.  What a shit show.

I never understood that concept. Position players aren't pitchers. They throw differently. This was the second game past the All Star Break. Bring in a middle reliever and leave him in there to get his ass kicked if the game is over. Whatever happened to the old "mop up" men?

I guarantee you, if LaStella or Happ blew out an elbow in this role, Maddon never would have made it to his car after the game.

I think it's because we have a double header today and a game tomorrow, and pretty piss poor starting pitchers in these last three games where we'll need, these relievers to pitch big innings.  Probably thought better to not use them in this blowout than not have them for winnable games.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:25 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I think it's because we have a double header today and a game tomorrow, and pretty piss poor starting pitchers in these last three games where we'll need, these relievers to pitch big innings.  Probably thought better to not use them in this blowout than not have them for winnable games.

Maybe. I'm more old school though. Each team used to have a "mop up" man, a long reliever, that they would bring in for games like this. Those guys were the real innings eaters. Guys like Paul Reuschel and Donnie Moore. Even Willie Hernandez in his days with the Cubs. They'd go maybe 5 or 6 innings in a blow out game, saving the rest of the bullpen.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:02 pm

One$....two$....three$.....four$$$.....five$$$$…..six$$$$…….just countin' my money.   Tho, I believe we said if he was hurt the bet was off ...I can't remember those details 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:19 pm

sharpy wrote:He was next in the rotation to pitch when the all star game hit, and then they made him last in the rotation afterward, including putting Chatwood ahead of him, starting tomorrow.  That has a very bad smell to it.

One$....two$....three$.....four$$$.....five$$$$…..six$$$$…….just countin' my money.   Tho, I believe we said if he was hurt the bet was off ...I can't remember those details 

He's pitching tomorrow....bad smell and all.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Went 7 today, threw 120 pitches, and left with the lead.  It's the best smell he's had all year.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Looks to me like he's trending toward his seasonal norms.  I'm still a bit puzzled about the long layoff.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 pm

And tonight, Rizzo - line drive off the knee cap ala Wilber Wood, and kiss the pennant goodbye, and for what? So Maddon can show everyone how cool and quirky he is?
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 pm

sharpy wrote:I guarantee you, if LaStella or Happ blew out an elbow in this role, Maddon never would have made it to his car after the game.

And tonight, Rizzo - line drive off the knee cap ala Wilber Wood, and kiss the pennant goodbye, and for what? So Maddon can show everyone how cool and quirky he is?

Exactly! But after seeing the dopes in the crowd reacting to Rizzo pitching, I retract my last statement. Even if one of those guys got hurt from pitching, they'd still nominate Maddon for sainthood.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm