Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

• Reply to topic

Geeking out

alohafri
Fanboy

Geeking out

Post by alohafri on Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 am

Today is the debut of The Beatles Channel on XM.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Re: Geeking out

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Thu May 18, 2017 10:59 am

Nothing geeky about that.
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 pm

In terms of music, popularity and overall cultural significance the Beatles were the greatest rock band of all time period. Not even close. Trust me, for those on this board who either weren't around or old enough between 1964-70, you just can't really comprehend the impact they had and what they meant to an entire generation virtually all over the civilized world. Beatlemania...never seen anything like it before or since...only thing even remotely comparable would have been Elvis and maybe Sinatra in the 40's. Their influence was profound and still is.
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 am

cream919 wrote:In terms of music, popularity and overall cultural significance the Beatles were the greatest rock band of all time period. Not even close. Trust me, for those on this board who either weren't around or old enough between 1964-70, you just can't really comprehend the impact they had and what they meant to an entire generation virtually all over the civilized world. Beatlemania...never seen anything like it before or since...only thing even remotely comparable would have been Elvis and maybe Sinatra in the 40's. Their influence was profound and still is.

Very true. We have our favorites. I prefer the Who to the Beatles. You prefer Cream to the Beatles. But there is no denying the fact that the Beatles are the Alpha and Omega of popular music.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Fri May 19, 2017 10:55 am

alohafri wrote:
cream919 wrote:In terms of music, popularity and overall cultural significance the Beatles were the greatest rock band of all time period. Not even close. Trust me, for those on this board who either weren't around or old enough between 1964-70, you just can't really comprehend the impact they had and what they meant to an entire generation virtually all over the civilized world. Beatlemania...never seen anything like it before or since...only thing even remotely comparable would have been Elvis and maybe Sinatra in the 40's. Their influence was profound and still is.

Very true. We have our favorites. I prefer the Who to the Beatles. You prefer Cream to the Beatles. But there is no denying the fact that the Beatles are the Alpha and Omega of popular music.

Yep.  Like them or not, there's no denying their dominance and importance.  I'm sorta that way about the Stones.  Never really liked them.  Don't enjoy them.  But there is no denying their greatness or their impact, even if my ears didn't appreciate them.  The greatness of the Beatles is evident in just watching how my kids respond to hearing them on the radio.  50 yrs later, and the kids all act as if it's cool, new music.

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic on Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am

Absolutely!
I have been a fan of a number of people-my all-time favorite singer is Ella.
 Big fan of rock & roll-was in a malt shop when someone put on the juke box a little number called Heartbreak Hotel by some guy nobody ever heard of.
Remember well what happened after that -including an Ed Sullivan Show where Elvis first performed on national TV ( shown on camera only from the waist up- too risqué). Had many of his albums-as did most of my buddies.

That was the tops -UNTIL the group from England came out. Elvis was huge and had all kinds of #1s singles and albums, and then movies (not very good movies -but all huge hits).
As big as Elvis was, the Beatles were even bigger. Their first trip here was unbelievable and swept the country. There have been other huge stars in rock & roll and I followed many of them (60's was a big time). Seen what's happened since -but Cream is right on, Sinatra, Elvis were huge but pale in comparison to what happened with the Beatles.
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 pm

alohafri wrote:Today is the debut of The Beatles Channel on XM.

As I posted on FB last Thursday..."I sent a kid to college last fall who was playing Back in Black on the electric guitar, and I got one back today who was playing 'Imagine' on the acoustic".  Could not have been more thrilled when I went downstairs to hear that.  Of course, then my daughter started singing it, and that ruined it.  But the guitar was good!
sharpy
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by sharpy on Fri May 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Without a doubt - from music, to cloths, to hairstyle, to attitude, to culture, to the proliferation of weed and LSD, all stemmed from the Beatles in the 60s ...of course, their influences came from others, but there is no doubt that they influenced an entire generation in just about everything. And like others on this board, musically they weren't my favorite, but no doubt they were great
sharpy
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by sharpy on Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
 I'm sorta that way about the Stones.  Never really liked them.  Don't enjoy them.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-3nJMt3uA

Good grief ..what are we going to do with you ??
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Fri May 19, 2017 9:12 pm

blondy28 wrote:
alohafri wrote:Today is the debut of The Beatles Channel on XM.

As I posted on FB last Thursday..."I sent a kid to college last fall who was playing Back in Black on the electric guitar, and I got one back today who was playing 'Imagine' on the acoustic".  Could not have been more thrilled when I went downstairs to hear that.  Of course, then my daughter started singing it, and that ruined it.  But the guitar was good!

Your daughter sings like my father did?  Mad He got a letter from Mitch Miller asking him not to sing along.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 pm

sharpy wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
 I'm sorta that way about the Stones.  Never really liked them.  Don't enjoy them.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-3nJMt3uA

Good grief ..what are we going to do with you ??

It's weird.  I agree.  Listened to them all my life with friends who liked them.  They never bothered me.  They aren't painful to my ears, and there are even a few of their tunes I enjoy a bit, but they just never quite turned my screws the way they seem to affect a few of the others here on the board.  Have always given them the utmost respect, and Jagger is hard not to like.  Surely there's some historically great band that you could do without for reasons you don't entirely understand?  I'm the same way about Springstein as I am with the Stones.  I almost always change the station when either come on.
sharpy
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by sharpy on Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 am

I'm the same way about Springstein as I am with the Stones.  I almost always change the station when either come on.

Yea Bruce for me as well ...never really cared for him or bought his records ...just saw him for the first time in 2016 - and he was very good - lots of energy, Wineberg on drums was really fantastic which surprised me and the band is incredibly tight ..but his songs?  eh ...take it or leave it ..
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 am

sharpy wrote:I'm the same way about Springstein as I am with the Stones.  I almost always change the station when either come on.

Yea Bruce for me as well ...never really cared for him or bought his records ...just saw him for the first time in 2016 - and he was very good - lots of energy, Wineberg on drums was really fantastic which surprised me and the band is incredibly tight ..but his songs?  eh ...take it or leave it ..

His music just resonates with certain folks in a certain way that I'll never understand, which is fine.  Seems like a good guy.  Never heard a single person not say that his show was great.
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
sharpy wrote:I'm the same way about Springstein as I am with the Stones.  I almost always change the station when either come on.

His music just resonates with certain folks in a certain way that I'll never understand, which is fine.  Seems like a good guy.  Never heard a single person not say that his show was great.

Best description of a Springsteen show I ever heard was from Peter Frampton. He said that at the outset, everyone is standing, yelling "BRUUUUUUCCCCE!" Four hours later people are looking at their watches saying "Ah, Bruce?"
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sat May 20, 2017 9:31 am

alohafri wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Best description of a Springsteen show I ever heard was from Peter Frampton. He said that at the outset, everyone is standing, yelling "BRUUUUUUCCCCE!" Four hours later people are looking at their watches saying "Ah, Bruce?"

Sounds like a Prince show I saw in 1985 or so.  It just wouldn't end.  And I liked Prince.  Great show and all.  But after 3 hours you're kind of ready to go.
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Sat May 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Kevin's right when he mentions my love for Cream and his for The Who...after the The Beatles kicked in the door of the house, many of us found our own rooms to go to. But that's just it...if it hadn't been for The Beatles there might have never been a house to begin with. There's not even a guarantee that we'd ever had heard of The Stones. When The Beatles started conquering the world, record companies were searching high and low in every club, garage and basement for any long haired kid with a guitar. What followed, for better or worse, impacted our musical tastes for the rest of our lives. 

As for "Gimme Shelter"....motherfucker what a song!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 am