Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox


  • Post new topic
  • Reply to topic

I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Share
avatar
telefrank
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 43
Join date : 2017-05-06
Location : Portage Park

I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by telefrank on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm

According to everything I've read, and everyone near a microphone the Sox are going to be a force to be reckoned with in a few years. I've gotten into the habit of listening to podcasts in the car instead of music. One of them is NBC Sports Chicago White Sox talk. It's hosted by Chuck Garfien who does the pre and post games shows. So he knows the Sox. On this he has been interviewing the "kids" the Sox have recently acquired and these guys are something. They have so much confidence in themselves and are seemingly in their heads ready to start acquiring rings. Guess that's a good thing. But I hope they are able to handle defeat as well. Other MLB teams are not going to lay down because of the Sox's good press. 


While it all appears and sounds to be all good news coming from the Sox, I am after all a Sox fan. A Sox fan who has been listening to this sort of stuff for years. So is it just me or are you not quite ready to run out and buy all the "kids" jerseys and hope to retire by having their rookie cards? 


So.....


Are you glad they are rebuilding? If you had asked me a few years ago the mere use of the word rebuild would have repulsed me. But after years of the Kenny Williams style of building a club it was time to pull the plug. What's amazing is how quickly they were able to on paper collect a group of what could be players. Could being the most important word in that sentence. 


Now I realize they have to face real major league players so it's speculation on everyone of these "kids". But it feels good to think they might be only a few years away from being in contention. I did live thru Sox baseball in the 70's. 
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy Apprentice

Posts : 569
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 52
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Frank, it feels to me like it'll be an interesting and occasionally exciting year.  I'm thinking something along the lines of the '99 season, when we were fun and competitive and a team on the rise.  Not necessarily good back then but fun to watch.  It'll be fun to see if Giolito can build on last year, to see if Avi can prove either Kark or Roger correct on the other board or somewhere in between, to see if Yolmer can be more than a supersub, and to see if any of the younger players can begin to turn into the real deal.  

I'm actually looking forward to this season, which is a first for me in the last several years.
avatar
alohafri
Getting to be a Fanboy

Posts : 494
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by alohafri on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 am

Some people are saying that the White Sox are going to surprise people this year. I hope they do, but I also want them to maintain the course. The last thing I want them to do is be a couple games over .500 at the break and then trade off some touted prospects in another "WIN NOW" scheme. The good news is that Hahn has said he wants to ride this out.


Most of us knew that a rebuild would mean some lean years. Living through the lean years is much better than the false hope of WIN NOW.
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy Apprentice

Posts : 569
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 52
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 am

alohafri wrote:Some people are saying that the White Sox are going to surprise people this year. I hope they do, but I also want them to maintain the course. The last thing I want them to do is be a couple games over .500 at the break and then trade off some touted prospects in another "WIN NOW" scheme. The good news is that Hahn has said he wants to ride this out.

If they do a Win Now prospect giveaway with a .500 record, it might force me to give up on them for years to come.


avatar
telefrank
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 43
Join date : 2017-05-06
Location : Portage Park

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by telefrank on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 am

Hahn does seem determined to do it his way. So that's good news. Over on Facebook somebody posted a picture of Ron Santo in a Sox uniform. Which made me think that it's quite possible the Sox have been doing this Win Now stuff for most of my life. It seems if you go back there are a lot of players they acquired who like Santo were at the end of their career. Might this really be a big change for the Sox if they stick to this "New and improved" style? Standby I guess we'll have to see. Could be a fun ride. Could be not so fun, but I'm glad it's the older me going thru this. Younger me might have killed someone. 
avatar
alohafri
Getting to be a Fanboy

Posts : 494
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by alohafri on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 am

telefrank wrote:Hahn does seem determined to do it his way. So that's good news. Over on Facebook somebody posted a picture of Ron Santo in a Sox uniform. Which made me think that it's quite possible the Sox have been doing this Win Now stuff for most of my life. It seems if you go back there are a lot of players they acquired who like Santo were at the end of their career. Might this really be a big change for the Sox if they stick to this "New and improved" style? Standby I guess we'll have to see. Could be a fun ride. Could be not so fun, but I'm glad it's the older me going thru this. Younger me might have killed someone. 

I never really considered Santo a "win now" trade. I saw it as an attendance booster trade. Of course I was only 7 at the time.
avatar
sharpy
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-10

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by sharpy on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Roy Seiver, gene freeze, ken Boyer, rocky Colavito, moose skowron, ted kluzewski, tommy Davis, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Richie Sisk, billy Goodman, etc etc etc. 
All win now guys from the past 
avatar
sharpy
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-10

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by sharpy on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Sox seemed settled, if it all pans out, in every position but 2b and Ss. If these kids truly are as good as advertised and can be like the Cubs, then they need to sign machado. That solidifies the IF at the most important position and allows Anderson to move to 2b. 
avatar
alohafri
Getting to be a Fanboy

Posts : 494
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by alohafri on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 pm

sharpy wrote:Sox seemed settled, if it all pans out, in every position but 2b and Ss. If these kids truly are as good as advertised and can be like the Cubs, then they need to sign machado. That solidifies the IF at the most important position and allows Anderson to move to 2b. 

Big Game James Shields and his huge contract should be off the books next year. That should help. 
avatar
alohafri
Getting to be a Fanboy

Posts : 494
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 am

My hope is that the kids start to pan out this year, that most of them aren't just hype, and Jerry decides to open his wallet and go after Machado in the off season.

Sponsored content

Re: I've got a CRAZY idea. Lets talk baseball

Post by Sponsored content

  • Post new topic
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:12 pm