Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

• Reply to topic

Drugs Are Bad

blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Drugs Are Bad

Post by blondy28 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Well, it looks like drugs led to the demise of both Tom Petty and Roy Halladay.   Tom Petty had multiple drugs in his system, including a few pain killers, and Roy Halladay had morphine, ambien, and an amphetamine in his system.  Ambien.  Flying a plane.  SMH.
alohafri
Fanboy

Re: Drugs Are Bad

Post by alohafri on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:13 pm

blondy28 wrote:Well, it looks like drugs led to the demise of both Tom Petty and Roy Halladay.   Tom Petty had multiple drugs in his system, including a few pain killers, and Roy Halladay had morphine, ambien, and an amphetamine in his system.  Ambien.  Flying a plane.  SMH.

Yeah, not exactly the greatest choices in the world.
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm

alohafri wrote:
blondy28 wrote:Well, it looks like drugs led to the demise of both Tom Petty and Roy Halladay.   Tom Petty had multiple drugs in his system, including a few pain killers, and Roy Halladay had morphine, ambien, and an amphetamine in his system.  Ambien.  Flying a plane.  SMH.

Yeah, not exactly the greatest choices in the world.

The warning on the ambien bottle says "Use care when operating a vehicle, vessel or other machines".  To be fair, perhaps Halladay was using "care" when he flew a plane on ambien.
sharpy
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by sharpy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Tom Petty had a broken hip - broke it on tour and continued to perform until the tour dates were all finished, then supposedly had hip surgery - this wasn't very long before he died. Not saying he didn't have a problem, but he also had a reason - and they are calling it an "accidental overdose"...altho, they always call it that
Ambien and an airplane is just asinine - but don't get me ranting about flying a plane as a hobby - that to me is asinine.
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 pm

sharpy wrote:Tom Petty had a broken hip - broke it on tour and continued to perform until the tour dates were all finished, then supposedly had hip surgery - this wasn't very long before he died. Not saying he didn't have a problem, but he also had a reason - and they are calling it an "accidental overdose"...altho, they always call it that
Ambien and an airplane is just asinine - but don't get me ranting about flying a plane as a hobby - that to me is asinine.

I did read that Petty had a broken hip.  Clearly he had a reason to take pain medication, but based upon the amount in his system (and the fact that it killed him)...not to mention what his family has said...that he was dealing with pain for a long time...certainly his tolerance was such that he had to take more and more to get any kind of pain relief.  Given how ineffective it is to commit suicide by taking pills, I'm often surprised how so many die from accidental overdoses of pain medication  I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds, and on my very worst day of addiction I took 47 vicodin 10/325s in 12 hours, then took an ambien to go to sleep.  And I'm still here to write about it.  Fentanyl is much more potent, obviously.  Scary stuff.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Good Lord, Blondy.  47 of anything is a lot.  I sometimes take 9 or 10 ibuprofin in a day when I'm in too much sports pain and I worry about what that's doing to me.  Not anymore.  Not after reading your last comment.  Holy shit.  I have some old Vicodins in my cabinet and every now and then I'm in enough pain to take just one, and it always seems like such a big deal to even take just one.

Last edited by SoxIlliniRob on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 pm

All those drugs and flying a fucking plane.  Unfrickingbelievable.  Absolutely nuts and a complete shame.  As for Petty, well, who isn't getting used to seeing these guys kill themselves?  Sounds similar to Prince, whereby got hooked due to pain for injuries relating to performing.  Crying shame seeing our heroes go out like that.
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Let's not forget that both Prince and Petty had healthy appetites for strong street drugs like heroin over the course of their lives and careers. Regardless how much pain they were in, they weren't exactly strangers to substance abuse and relapse. The term "addiction" literally translated into its Latin origin means "to speak" and, believe me, any addict will tell you it always talks to you. Basically recovery just amounts to which little voice inside you that you choose to listen to. 

BTW...Ginger Baker is 78 years old. LOL You just never know.
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:55 pm

cream919 wrote:Let's not forget that both Prince and Petty had healthy appetites for strong street drugs like heroin over the course of their lives and careers. Regardless how much pain they were in, they weren't exactly strangers to substance abuse and relapse. The term "addiction" literally translated into its Latin origin means "to speak" and, believe me, any addict will tell you it always talks to you. Basically recovery just amounts to which little voice inside you that you choose to listen to. 

BTW...Ginger Baker is 78 years old. LOL You just never know.

Prince did heroin?  I thought he was a legendary teetotaler until his pain issues?  Are you thinking of George Michael, or do you know something I don't know?
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:14 pm

The drug Prince died from is an opiod and essentially heroin...only far more potent from what I've read. Many of his friends and associates have since downplayed his drug usage but let's not forget that 6 days before his death there was an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois where he was on the verge of death from an OD. I believe little if any of the enabling remarks made by family, friends and colleagues of musicians and entertainers who die under such circumstances. In many instances the very people who edify and defend the deceased are as fucked up and in denial as the person who is dead was. I recall back in the day when Hendrix died all of these people rushed to his defense and smugly stated where they had never seen Jimi spike a needle into his arm! Oh yeah? Well how did that work out for him? Did his other forms of copious substance abuse somehow make him any less dead?
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 pm

cream919 wrote:The drug Prince died from is an opiod and essentially heroin...only far more potent from what I've read. Many of his friends and associates have since downplayed his drug usage but let's not forget that 6 days before his death there was an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois where he was on the verge of death from an OD. I believe little if any of the enabling remarks made by family, friends and colleagues of musicians and entertainers who die under such circumstances. In many instances the very people who edify and defend the deceased are as fucked up and in denial as the person who is dead was. I recall back in the day when Hendrix died all of these people rushed to his defense and smugly stated where they had never seen Jimi spike a needle into his arm! Oh yeah? Well how did that work out for him? Did his other forms of copious substance abuse somehow make him any less dead?

Yes, I understand that Fentanyl is more potent than heroin and that Prince had a long problem with painkillers.  Your post made it sound like he was Keith Richards, a legendary partying rock star, and I was wondering if I had missed something.
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

There are articles out there from supposed family members who claim that Prince was a long time abuser of cocaine and percoset. Are they true? I didn't know the guy so I have no idea but we both know that addicts, particularly long-term addicts, are masters of hiding their addictions from others. It's funny you mention Kieth Richards. Certainly, by his own admission, no saint but also quick to point out that if half the shit that was out there on him was true he would have been dead 30 years ago. If you ever want to read something fascinating pick up is autobiography. On the cover's inner sleeve Kieth simply writes, "Believe it or not, I remember it all". Also a little known fact...many of his contemporaries acknowledge Kieth as one of the best "dads" in the business. Supposedly, very involved with his kids. When Connor Clapton feel out of that New York window so many years ago, the very first telegraph Eric received was from Kieth. It simply said "Anything I can do".
sharpy
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by sharpy on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 pm

speaking of Clapton - apparently not doing very well. Going deaf and his arthritis is supposedly so bad he can't play anyway like he used to ...that's depressing
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm more concerned about his hands. He's been going deaf since 1968. Cream was among the loudest bands of that era.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 am

I recently watched a special about Prince and they seemed to imply he was a heavy cocaine user throughout his career.
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:47 pm

blondy28 wrote:
sharpy wrote:Tom Petty had a broken hip - broke it on tour and continued to perform until the tour dates were all finished, then supposedly had hip surgery - this wasn't very long before he died. Not saying he didn't have a problem, but he also had a reason - and they are calling it an "accidental overdose"...altho, they always call it that

I did read that Petty had a broken hip.  Clearly he had a reason to take pain medication, but based upon the amount in his system (and the fact that it killed him)...not to mention what his family has said...that he was dealing with pain for a long time...certainly his tolerance was such that he had to take more and more to get any kind of pain relief.  Given how ineffective it is to commit suicide by taking pills, I'm often surprised how so many die from accidental overdoses of pain medication  I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds, and on my very worst day of addiction I took 47 vicodin 10/325s in 12 hours, then took an ambien to go to sleep.  And I'm still here to write about it.  Fentanyl is much more potent, obviously.  Scary stuff.

Good Lord. I haven't even had that much beer in one sitting!
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 pm

cream919 wrote:There are articles out there from supposed family members who claim that Prince was a long time abuser of cocaine and percoset. Are they true? I didn't know the guy so I have no idea but we both know that addicts, particularly long-term addicts, are masters of hiding their addictions from others. It's funny you mention Kieth Richards. Certainly, by his own admission, no saint but also quick to point out that if half the shit that was out there on him was true he would have been dead 30 years ago. If you ever want to read something fascinating pick up is autobiography. On the cover's inner sleeve Kieth simply writes, "Believe it or not, I remember it all". Also a little known fact...many of his contemporaries acknowledge Kieth as one of the best "dads" in the business. Supposedly, very involved with his kids. When Connor Clapton feel out of that New York window so many years ago, the very first telegraph Eric received was from Kieth. It simply said "Anything I can do".

I bet the real Richards' story is much like that of the Rat Pack. The Jack Daniel's they drank on stage during their Vegas runs was actually iced tea. Dean Martin was notorious for not wanting to be under the influence while on stage (during that era at least).

The Rainbow Concert in the early 70's was put together by Pete Townshend and was credited with helping Clapton get off of heroin.
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Kieth has a persona that he admittedly encourages. That said, make no mistake about it that he is highly intelligent, articulate, dedicated and hard-working. Almost all of the prima-donna shit you hear about the Stones involves Jagger and not Richards. In fact the two are often at odds because Kieth won't put up with Mick's bullshit and doesn't suffer fools lightly. All those GREAT Stones' classics? The music and arrangements belong to Kieth...Jagger does the lyrics. In my mind one of the top five composers in the history of popular music. Nobody actually comes out and says the words but Kieth is an authentic musical genius.
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Good Lord, Blondy.  47 of anything is a lot.  I sometimes take 9 or 10 ibuprofin in a day when I'm in too much sports pain and I worry about what that's doing to me.  Not anymore.  Not after reading your last comment.  Holy shit.  I have some old Vicodins in my cabinet and every now and then I'm in enough pain to take just one, and it always seems like such a big deal to even take just one.

I'm pretty sure there was some valium between the vicodin and ambien, too.   I'm still shocked that it didn't kill me.   

Before being diagnosed with migraines, I used to take up to 21 advil in a day.  After the 3rd round of 3 pills, I knew it wouldn't work, but just taking something and having the hope that it **might** alleviate some of the pain gave me a psychological boost.

I got all of my prescriptions legally from doctors, and after I quit I pulled up my records from Walgreens' website and calculated how much the street value of what I took was and I think it was about $50,000 or so.  I would pay less than $2 for each prescription.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 pm

blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:Good Lord, Blondy.  47 of anything is a lot.  I sometimes take 9 or 10 ibuprofin in a day when I'm in too much sports pain and I worry about what that's doing to me.  Not anymore.  Not after reading your last comment.  Holy shit.  I have some old Vicodins in my cabinet and every now and then I'm in enough pain to take just one, and it always seems like such a big deal to even take just one.

I'm pretty sure there was some valium between the vicodin and ambien, too.   I'm still shocked that it didn't kill me.   

Before being diagnosed with migraines, I used to take up to 21 advil in a day.  After the 3rd round of 3 pills, I knew it wouldn't work, but just taking something and having the hope that it **might** alleviate some of the pain gave me a psychological boost.

I got all of my prescriptions legally from doctors, and after I quit I pulled up my records from Walgreens' website and calculated how much the street value of what I took was and I think it was about $50,000 or so.  I would pay less than $2 for each prescription.

Does anything really help migraines?  I've never been one for headaches in my life, aside from occasional hangovers and/or illnesses, but for about the last six months I've had severe headaches that don't go away with any OTC meds.  Have tried a few low dose prescription pills and they don't work either.  Not sure if these are migraines or just some other kind of headache, since I don't really have any basis for knowing what's a migraine.  The neurologist seems to think it's either migraines or stress-related, although I don't feel as though I'm under any stress.  Beats me, but it sure sucks.
blondy28
Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:11 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:

Does anything really help migraines?  I've never been one for headaches in my life, aside from occasional hangovers and/or illnesses, but for about the last six months I've had severe headaches that don't go away with any OTC meds.  Have tried a few low dose prescription pills and they don't work either.  Not sure if these are migraines or just some other kind of headache, since I don't really have any basis for knowing what's a migraine.  The neurologist seems to think it's either migraines or stress-related, although I don't feel as though I'm under any stress.  Beats me, but it sure sucks.

Non-migraine medication doesn't help migraines.  And even migraine meds are questionable.  The "cocktail" that worked for me was 1 imitrex, 2 vicodin, and 3 advil.  That would "put it in the background" (which I call it when it's still there, but if you don't think about it, you can almost not feel it).  My migraines at that time were hormonal...every 28 days...and they lasted 3 days no matter what I did.  The "cocktail" was pretty much to get them at an acceptable level to exist.  I used to freak people out when they asked us to do stuff and I would say "sorry, I can't make it that day...I'll have a migraine".  I had just seen my gynecologist who recommended going on the pill that you only get your period once a year.  Apparently that's a solution for some women with hormonal migraines.  I had the 'script in had, and a week later, I found a lump, then a week later, cancer, and doc says "um, unless you want to die, you won't fill that prescription."  My daughter is on the pill and it scares the shit out of me.
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:03 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:

Ever since I've been seeing a chiropractor, my migraines have been pretty much eliminated.
SoxIlliniRob
Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 am

alohafri wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:

Ever since I've been seeing a chiropractor, my migraines have been pretty much eliminated.

I see one every few weeks proactively, but they've not been able to get rid of them.  Maybe I'm dying!
alohafri
Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
alohafri wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:

I see one every few weeks proactively, but they've not been able to get rid of them.  Maybe I'm dying!

Most likely. Malort cures all.
cream919
Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 pm

************************************************************************************

OMG...I just got some serious wood!!!! geek

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 am