Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

So yesterday

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

So yesterday Empty So yesterday

Post by alohafri Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

...I had a kid who was called in sick. On the attendance page, he was listed as "resting". Today, I asked what he was resting from. "I was snowboarding all day on Monday and I was tired." SMH
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

So yesterday Empty Re: So yesterday

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 am

If that kid is a good performer in school, then I am possibly ok with this.  Having gone skiing and boarding and waterskiiing on occasion, I can barely walk the next day.  Shit, I'm turning into a total bleeding heart.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:If that kid is a good performer in school, then I am possibly ok with this.  Having gone skiing and boarding and waterskiiing on occasion, I can barely walk the next day.  Shit, I'm turning into a total bleeding heart.

He couldn't spell cat if I spotted him the c and the t. And you're, what, 60? I'd expect you to barely be able to walk after getting out of bed in the morning.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm

You got the worst job in the world. And you’re in a good school district. Tell me, is there a 10 or 14 day disabled list in your school?
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

sharpy wrote:You got the worst job in the world. And you’re in a good school district. Tell me, is there a 10 or 14 day disabled list in your school?

I think kids are given vacation leave that we don't know about. We just got back from Christmas break last week. Monday was a day off. I have two kids who are gone all this week, marked "vacation."
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm

alohafri wrote:...I had a kid who was called in sick. On the attendance page, he was listed as "resting". Today, I asked what he was resting from. "I was snowboarding all day on Monday and I was tired." SMH

You would have hated having my kids as your students.  I allowed my kids to take one "mental health day" per quarter.  I believe that kids' mental health is as critical as their physical health.  My daughter is such a crazy perfectionist that she was too afraid to miss class for fear of falling behind, that the few times she took mental health days, I made her (because she was literally on the verge of breaking down).  The boys took theirs consistently, but for the most part, they chose their days wisely.  Jake actually suffered from some pretty severe depression sophomore year, which was the same year that Gab was about to have a breakdown, so that's when I initiated my policy.  And I would do it again.  But I wouldn't call in for a snowboarding hangover.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 pm

alohafri wrote:
    sharpy wrote:You got the worst job in the world. And you’re in a good school district. Tell me, is there a 10 or 14 day disabled list in your school?

I think kids are given vacation leave that we don't know about. We just got back from Christmas break last week. Monday was a day off. I have two kids who are gone all this week, marked "vacation."

That just amazes me.  I remember one time taking my kids out of school at around 2 pm on the Friday before spring break so we could fly out at around 5 pm to head somewhere like Mexico or something.  I felt like I was committing a felony taking my kids out of school an hour early.  That said, a very good friend of mine, who is a Danish citizen living in the US with her family, probably takes her kids out of school for a week or two per year and just packs shit up and goes on a trip to Yellowstone or Florida or wherever the hell she feels like.  When I give her shit about it, she says her kids learn more from traveling with her for a week than they learn in a month of school.  She is extremely intelligent, so maybe she has a point.  I think that kind of an attitude is a European thing.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:...I had a kid who was called in sick. On the attendance page, he was listed as "resting". Today, I asked what he was resting from. "I was snowboarding all day on Monday and I was tired." SMH

You would have hated having my kids as your students.  I allowed my kids to take one "mental health day" per quarter.  I believe that kids' mental health is as critical as their physical health.  My daughter is such a crazy perfectionist that she was too afraid to miss class for fear of falling behind, that the few times she took mental health days, I made her (because she was literally on the verge of breaking down).  The boys took theirs consistently, but for the most part, they chose their days wisely.  Jake actually suffered from some pretty severe depression sophomore year, which was the same year that Gab was about to have a breakdown, so that's when I initiated my policy.  And I would do it again.  But I wouldn't call in for a snowboarding hangover.

My district has at least two of those stupid "institute days" per trimester. "Mental health" days are unnecessary here as they are built into the calendar (for the students at least).
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:00 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

That just amazes me.  I remember one time taking my kids out of school at around 2 pm on the Friday before spring break so we could fly out at around 5 pm to head somewhere like Mexico or something.  I felt like I was committing a felony taking my kids out of school an hour early.  That said, a very good friend of mine, who is a Danish citizen living in the US with her family, probably takes her kids out of school for a week or two per year and just packs shit up and goes on a trip to Yellowstone or Florida or wherever the hell she feels like.  When I give her shit about it, she says her kids learn more from traveling with her for a week than they learn in a month of school.  She is extremely intelligent, so maybe she has a point.  I think that kind of an attitude is a European thing.

In Naperville, the trips are to one of the Disney parks. There is no "learning" going on. And when parents ask for work to be given because they will be on a plane for a couple of hours, it's never done.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 am

And when I am being held increasingly accountable for the success and failure of the students I have, Goddammit, I want them here. Those who hold me accountable don't care if the kid has missed six weeks because he needed to rest or was visiting Grandma in the middle of January because the parents were able to get a cheaper airfare than they could around Christmas. I'm not allowed to say, "you haven't been producing because of your absences, you're fired." However, the powers that be can say that to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am