Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

Golden Globes

alohafri
    Fanboy

Re: Golden Globes

Post by alohafri on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Am I the only one that expects that if Biden gets the Dem nomination, he will spend the entire month of October 2020 defending against mysterious, anonymous allegations of groping, ala Al Franken?

I would put any allegations against Biden in the same category as Bush I...harmless old man trying to be funny or trying to make a connection (for lack of a better term).
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Am I the only one that expects that if Biden gets the Dem nomination, he will spend the entire month of October 2020 defending against mysterious, anonymous allegations of groping, ala Al Franken?

I would put any allegations against Biden in the same category as Bush I...harmless old man trying to be funny or trying to make a connection (for lack of a better term).

I expect that any such claims against Biden will be "He grabbed my ass" or "He breathed on my neck and kissed my ear and it made me feel icky."  There would mysteriously and suddenly be about 10 of these that would show up out of the blue.  Hannity would be pissing all over himself with glee.
    alohafri
    Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I expect that any such claims against Biden will be "He grabbed my ass" or "He breathed on my neck and kissed my ear and it made me feel icky."  There would mysteriously and suddenly be about 10 of these that would show up out of the blue.  Hannity would be pissing all over himself with glee.

As opposed to him hiring some male hooker to piss on him as he does now?
    cream919
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Tim, I think you're underestimating the kind of support Winfrey could possibly garner.  She would own the black vote, obviously.  She would do well with liberals and registered Dems.

**************************************************************************************

Hell yeah! By probably 3,000,000 more than her opponent...how did that work out for Hillary? Numbers don't really matter anymore as long as we have that fucking electoral college. It's not going away anytime soon which means I'll never vote in another presidential election in my lifetime. As for Joe Biden I like the guy but, sorry, he's too fucking old. 

Kevin and I don't always see eye to eye politically but we both agree that this obsession with "celebrities" and "idols" is fucking ruining this country. These people who think that just because they're rich and famous they have what it takes to lead the most powerful country on the face of the earth. Bullshit! Absolute bullshit...and shame on anybody who goes along with this line of thinking. The piece of shit we currently have sitting in the White House is a prime example of where this sick obsession has led us as a nation. The democrats and republicans don't run this country anymore...the check-out crowd down at Wall Mart does. Political opinions are formed based upon what's said on social media, twitter and the tabloids. Yeah...Oprah Winfrey to lead the free world. Oprah fucking Winfrey!! Are you fucking kidding me?? All she would be is the anti-Trump who, like him, wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get the fucking job done. 

Good Lord. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm

cream919 wrote:Tim, I think you're underestimating the kind of support Winfrey could possibly garner.  She would own the black vote, obviously.  She would do well with liberals and registered Dems.

**************************************************************************************

Hell yeah! By probably 3,000,000 more than her opponent...how did that work out for Hillary? Numbers don't really matter anymore as long as we have that fucking electoral college. It's not going away anytime soon which means I'll never vote in another presidential election in my lifetime. As for Joe Biden I like the guy but, sorry, he's too fucking old. 

Kevin and I don't always see eye to eye politically but we both agree that this obsession with "celebrities" and "idols" is fucking ruining this country. These people who think that just because they're rich and famous they have what it takes to lead the most powerful country on the face of the earth. Bullshit! Absolute bullshit...and shame on anybody who goes along with this line of thinking. The piece of shit we currently have sitting in the White House is a prime example of where this sick obsession has led us as a nation. The democrats and republicans don't run this country anymore...the check-out crowd down at Wall Mart does. Political opinions are formed based upon what's said on social media, twitter and the tabloids. Yeah...Oprah Winfrey to lead the free world. Oprah fucking Winfrey!! Are you fucking kidding me?? All she would be is the anti-Trump who, like him, wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get the fucking job done. 

Good Lord. 

Contrary to your comments, I don't think Oprah "thinks she has what it takes the lead the most powerful country" and yada yada yada.  Strikes me that there are some who think she does.  Seems like all bets are off with this current dipshit having won.  Now we get to see this bullshit year in and year out.  Who'll be next?  Mark Zuckerberg?  The Rock?  Tom Hanks?  A mixed ticket of Spielberg and Reiner?  We could do worse than any of those, but I suspect we could also do much better.  

Do you honestly think anyone can accomplish jack shit in this political climate?  President Sanders?  Sasse?  Booker?  Nikki Haley?  What are any of those folks gonna do?  Big money is going to block any Dem president unless he/she has a bulletproof majority, which will not happen.  Filibusters will block a Repub.  I don't see president Paul Ryan or Joe Biden having even the slightest better chance than President Oprah or President The Rock or President Mike Rowe or President JJ Watts at getting things done.  Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't see shit getting done in this climate.  Money is standing in the way.  Thusly, I'm open to voting for possibly one of our greatest humanitarians because while I don't think she'd accomplish jack shit, maybe she'd be able to change the social climate.  Paul Ryan won't.  Biden won't.  Oprah probably won't, either.  So spare me your shrieking.  Right now, I'd vote for a dog turd with a (D) next to it over Donald Trump.  If that dog turd is Oprah, Gillibrand, Sanders, Biden, or even YOU, I'll vote happily for that person and worry afterward how you'll get anything done.
    cream919
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I appreciate your support and your vote Rob but, as the last election has shown us, it won't mean jack shit.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:22 pm

cream919 wrote:I appreciate your support and your vote Rob but, as the last election has shown us, it won't mean jack shit.

As a hardcore pinko, commie, dem, liberal, my number one goal is seeing a Dem win the next election by any means necessary.  if it means voting for you, or Oprah, or The Rock, or Nancy Fucking Pelosi, I'm 100% in.  I only want to see a candidate most likely to beat this shithead currently holding office.  Longer term, it might be nice to see the Dems figure out how to message their ideology, seeing as how they have majority public support on almost every issue.  After that, run a person that is qualified and knows how to sell that ideology, along with accomplishing at least some of those goals.  That's all.  Is that asking for too much?
    alohafri
    Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    cream919 wrote:I appreciate your support and your vote Rob but, as the last election has shown us, it won't mean jack shit.

As a hardcore pinko, commie, dem, liberal, my number one goal is seeing a Dem win the next election by any means necessary.  if it means voting for you, or Oprah, or The Rock, or Nancy Fucking Pelosi, I'm 100% in.  I only want to see a candidate most likely to beat this shithead currently holding office.  Longer term, it might be nice to see the Dems figure out how to message their ideology, seeing as how they have majority public support on almost every issue.  After that, run a person that is qualified and knows how to sell that ideology, along with accomplishing at least some of those goals.  That's all.  Is that asking for too much?

And that's another problem. Swing far left, swing far right, swing far left, swing far right. I'm going to get fucking dizzier than I already am!
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

And that's another problem. Swing far left, swing far right, swing far left, swing far right. I'm going to get fucking dizzier than I already am!

Meh, I don't think I'm asking for a swing far left.  Just a regular social democratic (increased voting rights, higher minimum wage, pro union, strengthen Social Security, strengthen Medicare, dump gerrymandering, getting money out of politics) ideology.  People say Obama was far left.  I viewed him as a fairly middling and moderate dem.  Voting in a far left Dem just riles up the opposition to turn out and go nuts in the midterms, which is why Trump has the entire GOP rattled and so many of them are retiring from the House, rather than run and risk losing.
    blondy28
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Meh, I don't think I'm asking for a swing far left.  Just a regular social democratic (increased voting rights, higher minimum wage, pro union, strengthen Social Security, strengthen Medicare, dump gerrymandering, getting money out of politics) ideology.  People say Obama was far left.  I viewed him as a fairly middling and moderate dem.  Voting in a far left Dem just riles up the opposition to turn out and go nuts in the midterms, which is why Trump has the entire GOP rattled and so many of them are retiring from the House, rather than run and risk losing.

It's kind of funny when you ask a right wing person what a "far left" person is, and you hear about drive thru abortions (would you like fries with that???), overturning the 2nd amendment, abolishing Christianity, people being able to live in mansions on the government's dime, the "gay agenda" (which I"m told involves indoctrinating straight people to become gay), a gutted military, businesses taxed so high that they fold...buildings boarded up, promotion of sharia law, toilets preprogrammed to only flush once a day, etc.   I mean I get it...these kinds of scare tactics get people to the polls, but as someone firmly in the far left camp, it astounds me that anyone actually believes that this is our platform.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:38 pm

blondy28 wrote:

It's kind of funny when you ask a right wing person what a "far left" person is, and you hear about drive thru abortions (would you like fries with that???), overturning the 2nd amendment, abolishing Christianity, people being able to live in mansions on the government's dime, the "gay agenda" (which I"m told involves indoctrinating straight people to become gay), a gutted military, businesses taxed so high that they fold...buildings boarded up, promotion of sharia law, toilets preprogrammed to only flush once a day, etc.   I mean I get it...these kinds of scare tactics get people to the polls, but as someone firmly in the far left camp, it astounds me that anyone actually believes that this is our platform.

Good points.  Good conversation.  I think I need to better understand what a far left agenda is.  I don't think I really know.  I suppose pushing for single payer is far left by some standards, although I recently saw polling that said that we're at a majority of folks wanting single payer.  I'm pro choice, but not pro abortion.  I want to see us strengthen social security and Medicare.  It would be nice to see a higher minimum wage and tax policy that is geared toward widening the middle class.  Gay rights?  They already have marriage equality, so I'm not sure how much else is left on that.  Is being pro union far left thing?  Is wanting a national voting rights law or amendment something that makes me far left?  Seems to me these issues are pretty mundane and run of the mill.  I suspect that on most or all issues, I am in a slight or significant majority.  If I am in the minority on a single agenda item, it would be interesting to hear what that is.  Not ruling it out...just not sure what it would be.  Maybe it's my wanting to decriminalize narcotics.
    cream919
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm

but as someone firmly in the far left camp, it astounds me that anyone actually believes that this is our platform.

****************************************************************************************

I don't know why you're surprised. These people that you're talking about are, when you get right down to it, pretty goddam STUPID!!! These are NOT conservatives!!!! These are just fucking dumbass idiots who think they know politics and are wonderfully exploited and manipulated by real conservatives so that the GOP can win elections. What can you say? It's a strategy that's worked magnificently. Hell, many of these morons are still fighting the civil war!!
    blondy28
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by blondy28 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Good points.  Good conversation.  I think I need to better understand what a far left agenda is.  I don't think I really know.  I suppose pushing for single payer is far left by some standards, although I recently saw polling that said that we're at a majority of folks wanting single payer.  I'm pro choice, but not pro abortion.  I want to see us strengthen social security and Medicare.  It would be nice to see a higher minimum wage and tax policy that is geared toward widening the middle class.  Gay rights?  They already have marriage equality, so I'm not sure how much else is left on that.  Is being pro union far left thing?  Is wanting a national voting rights law or amendment something that makes me far left?  Seems to me these issues are pretty mundane and run of the mill.  I suspect that on most or all issues, I am in a slight or significant majority.  If I am in the minority on a single agenda item, it would be interesting to hear what that is.  Not ruling it out...just not sure what it would be.  Maybe it's my wanting to decriminalize narcotics.

I think if you asked the right wing of a general description of liberalism/democrats, they would say "they want big government and conservatives want smaller government", but I've never heard anyone one this board (or any liberal I know or listen to or read or watch) EVER talk about their desire to increase the size of government...and I'm relatively certain it doesn't appear anywhere on the democratic party platform.  I remain of the opinion that when ANYTHING is being assessed, ALL options should be reviewed and the BEST option implemented.  If that's government...fine.  If that's the private sector, fine.  (parking meters and The Taste of Chicago were better/cheaper under the City's control)  I've gone on record as saying that I'm opposed to what is the largest increase in the size of government in history...The Department of Homeland Security (the fact that it employs Mrs. Aloha aside).  I'm not a "government first/big government" person, and I've never heard any liberals on this board mention that as an important goal.  Medicare for all WOULD increase the size of government, but I think those of us who want that don't support it because it increases the size of government...we support it because we think it would be better than the crap we have now, and because we think removing the profit component would mean it would reduce costs, and because we think healthcare is a right, etc.  How about a trade...we get rid of the Department of Homeland Security and we get Medicare for all?  Aloha, I'm sure that when the DHS is privatized, they'll hire Mrs. Aloha.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm

cream919 wrote: but as someone firmly in the far left camp, it astounds me that anyone actually believes that this is our platform.

****************************************************************************************
    I don't know why you're surprised. These people that you're talking about are, when you get right down to it, pretty goddam STUPID!!! These are NOT conservatives!!!! These are just fucking dumbass idiots who think they know politics and are wonderfully exploited and manipulated by real conservatives so that the GOP can win elections. What can you say? It's a strategy that's worked magnificently. Hell, many of these morons are still fighting the civil war!!

You hit the bullseye when you say "It's a strategy that's worked magnificently."  This current version of the GOP disgusts me beyond words, but they are impressive in what they have figured out how to accomplish despite being on the wrong side of public sentiment in MANY or most of their platform ideals.  They are persistent SOBs that don't give up and don't give in.  They market their bullshit as if it's truth and they repeat, repeat, repeat it as if it's absolutely true.  Trump is the embodiment of the same shit I've heard out of the party for a decade.  They will end up magnificently marketing this tax scam into a positive and will also create a huge deficit out of it that will allow them to whittle down Social Security and Medicare further, along with cutting safety nets like food stamps and Medicaid.  And then once there's a Dem president, it'll be 24/7 about how that president created this horrible deficit.  They are already working on the messaging for when that day comes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 pm