Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

• Reply to topic

Not really a "trade"....Joe Girardi

blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Not really a "trade"....Joe Girardi

Post by blondy28 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 am

Yesterday on Waddle & Silvy, they asked a hypothetical question.  Would you want to see the Sox hire Joe Girardi?  Yeah, it would suck for Renteria...the doubly whammy...but if this were a possibility, is it something Sox fans would want to see?
alohafri
Not a Fanboy

Re: Not really a "trade"....Joe Girardi

Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:30 am

Nope. First, as a rule, Reinsdorf doesn't eat contracts, therefore, letting Renteria go in favor of Girardi is a nonstarter. Second, I see the Cubs letting Maddon go after 2018 (guessing he signed a three year contract) in favor of fan favorite Girardi. Third, the Sox are still a couple of years away from contending. Renteria did a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt this year with the kids. They still need to gel under him for a year or so. Fourth, see #1. Smile
sharpy
Not a Fanboy

Post by sharpy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Doubt girardi wants to be part of a rebuild ....wants to walk in as the missing piece - like the Nationals, where he'd actually probably be a perfect fit
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Post by blondy28 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 pm

alohafri wrote:Nope. First, as a rule, Reinsdorf doesn't eat contracts, therefore, letting Renteria go in favor of Girardi is a nonstarter. Second, I see the Cubs letting Maddon go after 2018 (guessing he signed a three year contract) in favor of fan favorite Girardi. Third, the Sox are still a couple of years away from contending. Renteria did a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt this year with the kids. They still need to gel under him for a year or so. Fourth, see #1. Smile

Even if  the first part of#2 actually happens and Maddon goes, do you think Girardi will be around that long?  If memory serves, Girardi put his eggs in the Cubs' managerial basket before (like Sandberg) and he got the shaft.  I suppose it's possible that your scenario plays out, but if Girardi has another opportunity, he certainly doesn't turn it down in hopes of a Maddon departure.  Honestly, if I'm the St. Louis GM, I go after Girardi big time, although they likely wouldn't eat that much of Matheny's contract.  I suspect they're hoping that Maddux will help right the ship.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 am